Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Add delay option to "send keystrokes"

Posted by Allen 
Allen
Add delay option to "send keystrokes"
January 10, 2006 05:15AM
Please add a time delay option/code/command to "send keystrokes". So that it is possible to have a time delay between imputing certain keystrokes. Thanks.
Leo
Re: Add delay option to "send keystrokes"
January 10, 2006 06:54PM
Hi Allen,

You can make this already by using Keys - Hotkeys and Utilities - Delay.

with best regards Leo
Bill
May 26, 2006 08:46AM
I have a variation on this one that I think would solve a problem I'm having...

I send a sequence of keystrokes, including several that open a menu, arrow down a couple of items, arrow right, arrow down a couple of items (essentially navigating through a drop-down menu). All of this is required because the function I want executed has no short-cut key in the app in question.

Using StrokeIt! this sequence only works about 20% of the time, i.e. I have to repeat it 4-5 times before the proper action finally occurs. I know StrokeIt! recognizes the gesture because the first keystroke in the sequence *is* an application hotkey that causes a visible change in the display, while the remaining keystroke sequence(s) should result in subsequent changes in the display that *don't* occur.

I think the answer here would be to put delays *between* the keystrokes; preferably in a manner to the way we used to add pauses to dialing sequences in modem dial strings: Have a special [pause_function] that can be included in the keystroke sequence where any delay is needed. It could either support a parameter for the number of milliseconds (e.g. [DELAY:50] or [BEGIN_PAUSE]50[END_PAUSE] or just have a 10 ms delay for each and we could put multiple copies for longer delays (e.g. [PAUSE][PAUSE][PAUSE] = 30ms delay).

Hi Bill,

>Using StrokeIt! this sequence only works about 20% of the time

if you don't say what Application you use it is very hard to give you a hit to make it better

In my humble opinion StrokeIt don't need additional delay, because you can spend time to tryout the best delay for you.

with best regards

Leo
Bill
May 26, 2006 06:10PM
Thanks, Leo-

While I'm having a problem with a specific application (PopPeeper, since you ask), the functionality I described could easily apply to a lot of different applications.

It isn't clear when the Utilities->Delay function occurs on a gesture; is it a single delay before sending ANY keystrokes? Or does it delay between EACH keystroke it emits?

If it's the latter, I agree: slowing down ALL of the keystrokes generated by a gesture should produce the results I want once I experiment with the delay setting. On the other hand, if I have a sequence of 30 keystrokes generated by a gesture, and only ONE of them needs a delay, say 100 ms, I have effectively created a 3 second delay in executing the gesture when it otherwise could have executed in well under one second.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Bill

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.