Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Support for environment variables

Posted by Winoo 
Winoo
Support for environment variables
July 11, 2005 06:24PM
What would be lovely would to be able to run a program and pass it an argument that is an environment variable and have the variable the one that is defined at gesture-time.

IE. I want to run explorer.exe to display the directory located in the %dir% environment variable (set at run-time by a program I'm working on) so that I can just open up that directory.

That's the point of variables. Your implementation does accept a variable, but it hardcodes the resolution of that variable into the gesture. A variable should be able to vary... (:

Wait! I just figured it out. Your program only looks at the environment variables when it opens... Hmmm... So it is dynamic, but only for each session of StrokeIT, which kind of defeats the purpose because you shoul only need one session per uptime. is it possible to refresh the environment variables for an open program on the fly? I don't know. I'd love for you to find out. (:

Thanks,
.Me

Winoo
Re: Support for environment variables
July 11, 2005 06:25PM
Hmmmm... maybe someone can help me here. Perhaps there's a message you can send to a window that will refresh it's environment variables?

(waits in baited anticipation...)

Cheers,
.Me
Winoo
Re: Support for environment variables
October 05, 2005 05:51PM
Hey! We had to figure out how to grab the current environment variables for a running program. Basically, a snapshot of the environment variables is saved for each program when it is first began and all calls to get the environment variables will return the same values no matter whether they've been changed outside the program. I think this harkens back to the days of DOS before multitasking was possible, so each program, being the only program running, expected to have the same environment variables from start to finish, unless it changed them. Then multitasking came along and they needed to support the old programs' way of living... all the way up until now, when Windows Effing XP still has the SAME legacy functionality.

Thanks Micro$haft.

So, the way to get the latest environment variables is to go look in the registry. They're all in there under the key:

Hmmmmmm... grr... I can't remember what key it is. I'll get back to you.

I would LOVE this functionality, and it would actually make it very viable for our office environment.

Cheers,
.Me
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 16?