Contact Us

StrokeIt

Complex Gesture Learning

Posted by Ryan 
Ryan
Complex Gesture Learning
January 21, 2003 10:30PM
<HTML>Hey all,

I just recently started using StrokeIt and I'm hooked already. One thing that I would enjoy tremendously would be the option to store multiple gesture variations in a single gesture object. If I could add, remove, and possibly rank these variations it would allow me to catch most of those sloppier movements I'm prone to make from time to time. If the program could attempt to match all the rank 1 gestures first, then if no match is found the rank 2, then rank 3, etc then well drawn gestures would be matched as quickly as they are now and sloppier gestures could still be matched (possibly slightly slower).

Thanks for the great program, keep up the good work!

-Ryan</HTML>
Willard P. Huntington
Re: Complex Gesture Learning
January 21, 2003 10:37PM
<HTML>Great idea! So it would search through all the gestures for a match just like before, but it would just take the additional step of searching through additional gestures in a hierarchy
if that is easy to implement it definately sounds like a useful change</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Complex Gesture Learning
January 21, 2003 10:47PM
<HTML>Just go into learning mode and teach it your sloppy gesture variations for any symbols you commonly draw.

The recognition algorithm will never get worse at learning gestures. For example, you could go into learning mode and train a simple gesture like Down-Up to also recognize a Star or a Heart shape, and it wouldn't get any worse at recognizing the original Down-Up pattern, but it would also now recognize your complex pattern as well. You probably wouldn't want to overload something that much, but it IS possible. If you'd like to keep your sloppy gestures as separate symbols, you could do that as well: perhaps name them "R", "R-Sloppy1", and "R-Sloppy2", etc. Then you could bind each gesture variation to any command that uses the original "R" gesture.

Hope this helps,

Jeff</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 5?