Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

The next step: Radial menus

Posted by Alex Reyes 
Alex Reyes
The next step: Radial menus
July 03, 2002 11:43AM
<HTML>I think StrokeIt is a testament to your ability to work wonders, so I think this idea would not be much of a stretch for you at all.

Another neat UI idea born from great HCI minds around the world is radial menus. The idea is you click and hold to display the menu around the mouse cursor, which would be a "pie" of sorts. Then you drag into the pie slice and release to select the menu option. If you quickly click and drag and release (because you have memorized the direction of the menu option), then the menu doesn't display at all.

This would allow nesting of sub menus, which would be accessed via a series of single-line strokes.

Something you could program, then, is for StrokeIt to recognize an app's context menus, and transform them into radial menus instead.</HTML>
Dennis
Re: The next step: Radial menus
July 03, 2002 06:02PM
<HTML>Wow a big step you are favorizing here :) It reminds me a lot of thehmm what was is called - Internet Wheel - from the Logitech Software for Mice, Mouseware called I believe. There you were able to choose ur email, webbrower back and forward actions or so.
I think this would be a hell lot of work to make it work nicely. Implenting it maybe not but doing the whole thing... woah! I don't know what Jeff will say, but Alex if you have already experiences with that kind of application, why not do your own plugin hehe. IMHO this is a whole new program and too big to include normally... BUT I would love to see it too!

Farewell
Dennis</HTML>
Alex Reyes
July 04, 2002 08:50AM
<HTML>If the basic plugin structure is not too complex, then I might consider it. I haven't yet looked at the sample plugin which is available on this website.</HTML>
Jeff
July 04, 2002 10:45AM
<HTML>Alex,

I don't think there would be much to gain by implementing it as a plugin, since it has very little to do with the existing StrokeIt architecture. Additionally, generating radial menus from the existing application menus would almost defeat idea of radial menus, sinch each application has the a different menu structure, commonly used items like print, copy, etc. may not always be in the same position on the menu.

While I think radial menus are an interesting concept when properly implemented, I don't belive that converting an application's menus into radial menus would have the UI advantages one would expect from radial menus.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Alex Reyes
July 05, 2002 09:50AM
<HTML>You are right; perhaps the specific application of converting context menus would be unfruitful or self-defeating. But, in general, they are useful, and, as you say, an interesting concept.</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 15?