Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

win7 and DEP enabled: StrokeIT won't launch at all!

Posted by miko 
win7 and DEP enabled: StrokeIT won't launch at all!
February 03, 2011 10:41AM
Hi Everybody!

I am SI user since two years now and you can't imagine how sad and frustrated I was after StrokeIT stopped from launching on my brand new DELL laptop with Win7 Prof.

Problem was:
StrokeIT Version: 9.5 and 9.7

Some background information: As I am changing machines quiet frequently I have just copied the entire program directory to the new laptop.

It seems to me that the problem began after I have "adviced" StrokeIT to launch when Windows starts.
Symptoms:
Doubleclicking the strokeIT executable does not launch StrokeIT. No visual information is presented to the user. The SI icon simply does not appear in the tray.
Every attempt to launch StrokeIt resulted in two entries in EventViewer:
Event 1000 with Source = Application Error and Event 1001 with Source = Windows Error Reporting.
The same happened after installation of SI 9.7

Part of the error message below.
Version=1
EventType=BEX
EventTime=129412189221651136
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=129412189222471136
ReportIdentifier=8dcc3231-2fa6-11e0-8947-f04da2cb965c
IntegratorReportIdentifier=8dcc3230-2fa6-11e0-8947-f04da2cb965c
WOW64=1
Response.BucketId=4625934
Response.BucketTable

Well, I am not a programmer or debugger so I had to struggle two or more days, being extremely unhappy, with this issue.

Disabling Desktop Compositions, Uninstalling Windows Updates, System Restore or None of Compatibility Modes have helpded (doing System Restore back and forth caused even some bluescreen but system is still running :-)

Some google search results for EventType=BEX pointed me finally to Data Execution Prevention.
This gave me an idea to disable DEP for SI. However on my system DEP was greyed out (even if I do have admin privileges). So it has to be manipulated via command line.
Searching further I have found appriopriate command (need to execute with admin elevation)
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx OptOut
More here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-xp/disable-turn-off-dep-windows/
I have performed it, restarted and added strokeit.exe as a expection under DEP.

And ta-dah!
StrokeIt was able to run!

I am sharing this as this might be helpful if somebody will experience similar issue.

@Jeff - thanks a lot for this wonderful application!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 10:45AM by miko.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 9?