StrokeIt

Alt + Space keystrokes don't work on cmd.exe

Posted by Piyush Soni 
Piyush Soni
Alt + Space keystrokes don't work on cmd.exe
February 01, 2011 02:16PM
I added cmd.exe as a filename to my applications, and added a gesture for

[Alt_down][Space][Alt_up]EP

which (if pressed correctly) will effectively paste the text in command prompt. But I noticed that it just presses space, and then keys E and P.

I then tried passing just the hotkey Alt + Space, but even that just passes space to it. It works on other applications though.

What should I do so that it works on command prompt?

Thanks,
Piyush
Re: Alt + Space keystrokes don't work on cmd.exe
February 01, 2011 02:37PM
Yes, cmd is a very anomalous devil. The only thing that comes to my mind is to re-route your keys through an AHK script.
February 01, 2011 03:21PM
Control+V has never worked for me in the command prompt, that has nothing to do with StrokeIt. However, I have just found 7Plus, which has many features, one of which is just that, making Control+V paste in command prompt. I have just tested it on XP, and it works.

In order to combine it with StrokeIt, I had to make a special action for the application Command Prompt, because it wouldn't work with my normal Paste action, which has an OSD + sound.

http://code.google.com/p/7plus/wiki/Features#Misc

StrokeIt is fantastic! And it has great synergy with the (freeware) program Autohotkey; just make a gesture to produce a hotkey that will trigger a function in AHK: you can thus get a gesture to do anything.
Piyush Soni
February 02, 2011 01:05AM
@Cerberus,
I never talked about Ctrl. V. If you had read carefully and tried my shortcut keys, you would have found out that this key combination does actually paste your clipboard text (at least in Windows 7, and most probably in XP as well) on the standard command prompt. It has got at least something to do with StrokeIt, because it's not able to send Alt key to it and only sends Space. I even tried a bit of delay between them to be sure.

For directly using Ctrl. V, I use an open source project called 'Console' which is a thin wrapper around all the command shell, is a tabbed version of cmd.exe, and offers a lot more features but using original cmd.exe is unavoidable in some circumstances.
February 04, 2011 12:24PM
Ouch, you are absolutely right, I stand corrected. I cannot imagine why I made such a dumb post, my apologies. I hope I was drunk. To make it up to you, here is an Autohotkey code that I have just tested, and it works for me on XP SP3:
!^+v::
SendInput, !{Space}ep
return
Just paste this inside an empty .txt file, rename it to .ahk, install Autohotkey, double-click the .ahk file, and you're good to go. Oh, and set StrokeIt to output alt-control-shift-v with your paste gesture in the Command Prompt (you can set it to a different hotkey but then you need to change the code I gave).
! = alt
^ = control
+ = shift
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 19?