Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Action "Run Program" not working with Magnify.exe?

Posted by neoliv 
Action "Run Program" not working with Magnify.exe?
November 05, 2010 03:34PM
Before filling a bugtrack I'm just asking here if this is not a simple mistake I've made.
If I declare a new Action "Magnify [Up]" with a new Command "Run magnify" of type (Run - Run program.) then chose the C:\Windows\System32\Magnify.exe
as target... it does nothing.
If I dbl click that same file from an explorer it works as intended.
If I change the target to C:\Windows\System32\explorer.exe, it works as intended.
Also tried to set the start dir as C:\Windows\System32 but not working better

Any idea?
Thank you very much for this very helpful program (that I'm very happy to have discovered today ;)

Olivier

version: strokit home .9.7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 03:35PM by neoliv.
Re: Action "Run Program" not working with Magnify.exe?
November 06, 2010 03:36PM
Hmm that is strange. I have created the very same action in my StrokeIt, and the Magnifier runs fine. I don't think it will make a difference, but you could import my action to test.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5056292/StrokeIt%20Magnifier%20Export.sxp

If explorer.exe works fine, I really can't think of anything. Now I have never used any newer Windows version than XP, so perhaps it could have something to do with Windows 7? I hear that sometimes the User Account Control can give problems, and that sometimes you need to run programs with administrator rights to get things right (or was that only with Vista?).
I hope you get this fixed somehow, good luck...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 10:46AM by Cerberus.
November 08, 2010 09:34AM
Thank you for your help.
Imported your spx, removed my entry.
Same effect... does not start magnify either... if I replace magnify.exe by explorer.exe it works.
Really no clue on the cause of this strange behavior. You may be right about the "admin" permissions but when I run magnify from the start menu or a command line I do not have to give admin permissions.
Is there a "error log" somewhere? Where I could see what's not working?

I will continue to try strokeit but this "magnify does not run" problem is really nagging me.
(I'm visually impaired and I'm starting/quitting magnify very very often and it would have been the most used gesture for me)

Olivier
November 08, 2010 10:59AM
I checked that on my Win7 x64 Pro and I have to confirm that it does not work. The reason is unknown. On the other hand I've found a workaround. Please try this and send an update if it's working for you or not.

Instead of choosing "C:\Windows\System32\Magnify.exe" use
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
as file, without any start dir set and enter the following into argument (without the quotes):
"/c C:\Windows\System32\magnify.exe"
You can set Run to Minimized so the command window does not show.
November 10, 2010 07:10AM
Indeed it works.
Thank you for the workaround.

Olivier (very happy new user of strokeit)
November 10, 2010 07:20AM
You're welcome ;)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 11?