Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

MB 4,5 not working when I start Opera with W gesture

Posted by t0yz 
MB 4,5 not working when I start Opera with W gesture
July 02, 2010 07:09PM
Hello,

I already made a [url=http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/bugs/view.php?id=17]bug report[/url]; I will post this in the forums too.

- start Opera browser with W gesture
- buttons 4,5 on the mouse will not be functional any more (back/forward default setting)
- quitting Setpoint will restore MB 4,5 default back/forward operation

Additional Information: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Opera 10.60, Setpoint 6.10 x64. Logitech Cordless Wave Pro (MX1100 mouse).

StrokeIt is starting from a task with highest privileges. Opera is added to disabled applications. Opera launched normally, not as admin. If I launch Opera normally, the MB 4,5 work as they should. There are also some other random losses of functionality; I'll post them as they'll appear.

I understand there are problems with Setpoint/Logitech from my searches? I am new to the forums, I apologize if I missed some obviously information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 07:20PM by t0yz.
Re: MB 4,5 not working when I start Opera with W gesture
July 03, 2010 05:51AM
Yes, Setpoint was causing some troubles in the past. I can't test Opera (I'm not using it anymore) but let me ask a few questions.
What is your gesture button?
Did you try to change default (and/or Opera specific) settings for MB4/5?
Do they also not work?
Does it work if you start Opera with Setpoint not running (MB4/5 is probably set to back/forward by Windows on most mouses with more than 3 buttons)?
What if you start Setpoint after starting Opera that way?
July 03, 2010 09:05AM
Hello and thank you again for your help.

You should try at least the last version of Opera... not only because it is the fastest browser. I know it's not for everybody, but many come to like it. I personally depend on it.

Gesture button: RB.
Changing MB 4,5 from back/forward to pg up/pg down did not change the behaviour.
Do not have Opera specific settings for MB 4,5 in Setpoint. I used to use the gestures from Opera for all operations including back/forward (RB-LB and LB-RB), but recently I bought this Logitech Wave Pro set and I found the thumb MB 4,5 buttons more appropriate for back/forward. StrokeIt is disabled completely in Opera - just used to start the browser with the "W" gesture.
Opera started with StrokeIt without Setpoint loaded ==> MB 4,5 work OK.
Starting Setpoint after that ==> MB 4,5 dead again.

Pretty much a incompatibility here between StrokeIt and latest Setpoint. What I cannot understand though: How is a instance of Opera started with a StrokeIt gesture different that other Opera instances?? I start Opera from taskbar, from a Ctrl-Alt-X shortcut, from menus and from a Fn-F9 Logitech keyboard specific function. All work OK, but the one I start with StrokeIt "W" does not function properly.

As I'm just a mere designer, it's a pretty big mystery to me.
July 03, 2010 09:20AM
I used to use Opera a few years ago and I still use it on my smartphone but on my PC I switched to Chrome. Right now I don't have time to try different browsers so I'll stick to it for a while. Currently it suits my needs.

IMHO it's not Opera instances counts but the mouse hook(s). There must be some disagreement between StrokeIt and Setpoint when starting Opera which also has its own one. Try starting Opera with another gesture that does not involve moving the mouse (I mean a button gesture, like middle/4/5 button) to see if it makes any difference. Alternatively you could also try to disable mouse gestures in Opera for a small test if you haven't done so yet.
July 03, 2010 10:53AM
- disable mouse gestures in Opera has no effect. However, it seems that they cannot be disabled totally, as the RB-LB and LB-RB flip gestures cannot be disabled.
- tried it on Firefox, with a random chosen "A" gesture, but the MB 4,5 still worked properly, together with Setpoint.

Sorry, but I don't know how to set a gesture only with buttons. I never had to customize StrokeIt too much, you see... it's pretty good by default.
July 03, 2010 11:05AM
There are gestures named [LMR]_BUTTON_[UP/DOWN]. Those are left/middle/right mouse button gestures for button up and down accordingly.
July 03, 2010 11:28AM
Thank you.

I started Opera with RB+M_BUTTON_DOWN.

Just discovered that not only MB 4,5 are broken. All Setpoint custom functionality, like Scroll L/R (I have set those on Undo/Redo), the "stealth" thumb button (was set on Flip 3D) are broken also. There are also two buttons for DPI. Those work.

One more thing that could be important: Setpoint seem to be dead in applications that need to be launched as admin (UAC asking for confirmation) like CCleaner, or Acronis True Image, jv16, TuneUP Utilities.

I launched StrokeIt from the Task Scheduler, with the raised privileges, for this exact reason: to work with these apps.

I thought Setpoint, as a driver, should have those privileges... but obviously there are problems somewhere.

EDIT: running StrokeIt from Windows, with no elevated privileges, allows the additional features of Setpoint to work correctly in Opera, including MB 4,5. It has something to do with the privileges applications have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 02:32PM by t0yz.
t0yz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, it seems that they cannot be disabled
> totally, as the RB-LB and LB-RB flip gestures
> cannot be disabled.

There is a setting in opera:config:
opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableMouseFlips
July 03, 2010 04:33PM
I presumed earlier that running StrokeIt with raised privileges will cause applications that were started by StrokeIt also have raised privileges but now I am certain of that. Running cmd.exe from Run... will give a non-elevated command prompt that denies running of chkdsk. Cmd started by an elevated StrokeIt does not. You'll need to try and launch Setpoint elevated if you want it to work in Opera launched by an elevated instance of StrokeIt. I'll look into that and report if I find anything.
July 03, 2010 05:08PM
Thank you very much again, you have been so helpful along this troubleshooting. I truly hope someone, somewhere pays or rewards you for the time you spend helping people like me.

I'll try to see how Setpoint can be "properly" elevated. I also posted in Logitech forums, I expect little help though, but who knows. Will report back as well.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 13?