Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Command Editor UI broken

Posted by paul1149 
Command Editor UI broken
June 01, 2010 10:13PM
Hi,

Really enjoying StrokeIT! However, on my 15" laptop, which runs at its maximum screen resolution of 1024x768, I cannot add applications, because whatever controls are below Edit, Remove, Add are barely showing. If I Tab around I can see that something there is getting the focus, but hitting Enter or Space, or trying to click it with the mouse, does nothing.

Thanks,
p.
Re: Command Editor UI broken
June 01, 2010 10:24PM
This is a problem, because whatever I did poking around, StrokeIt is no longer working at all.
June 02, 2010 01:26AM
What does this exactly mean :"whatever controls are below Edit, Remove, Add are barely showing"?
Leo
June 02, 2010 05:31AM
Hello paul1149,

Your problem sounds like a bug but you don't tell us important information.
Please consider [url=http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?2,54671]this[/url] thanks. Most important imho is describe reproducible steps to isolate the problem.

best regards

Leo
June 02, 2010 07:45AM
Hi gemisigo and Leo,

I didn't report it as a bug because I thought if it were I surely wouldn't be the only one experiencing it. I rather attributed it to the limits of resolution of the laptop I just started using, as I have seen some other dialog weirdness on it.

In any case, here is the scenario. I open SI from the Taskbar in order to add an app (FreeCell). I am presented with an interface title Command Editor. On the left is a Tree list of the specified apps and actions, on the right is a section for adding/removing/editing apps.

I clicked Add and added FreeCell into the Identifiers box (I've done all this before successfully on my desktop machine). But as I said, I have the Edit, Remove, and Add Controls, but only a tiny top portion of whatever is below them. It looks like a checkbox followed by text. There is nothing below that but plain gray interface.

Here's a shot of the problem: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/pbpublic/forum%20links/StrokeIt.gif

I got StrokeIt back by uninstalling/reinstalling. Evidently my poking around blindly disabled it in some way. I'm using the latest version (just downloaded today).

Also, I'm glad I checked back here. Moving the thread evidently broke email notification.

Thanks and best wishes,
p.
June 02, 2010 07:47AM
Sorry, I see now that there is a difference here between Follow and Follow with email notifications. I should be getting them now.
June 02, 2010 03:54PM
I see. That's weird. The missing checkbox is "Disable gestures in this application". Still, I wonder how managed to get it like this. Even if I resize the command editor window to be 512 pixels high that checkbox is still clearly visible. Are other panels in other application windows showing properly?
June 02, 2010 10:59PM
When I was setting up the laptop, I did have some GUI problems. I ended up doing a complete restore and installing anew (I bought the machine used), and since then I can't recall any other instance of GUI malformation.

I didn't realize the Command Editor was resizable, but doing so does not affect the problem.

I imagine I tripped the Deactivate button while Global Actions was selected, thereby nicely disabling SI for basically the whole computer! :)

So I take it that there is no OK button that needs to be pressed when I Add an app; it's all written in real time. That means that I can go ahead and Add and configure with the portion of CE that does show. So I guess then that I'm up and running. Still can't figure out what's wrong though.

bw,
p.
Leo
June 03, 2010 10:18AM
Hello paul1149,

What OS do you using ?
What skin do you using in your OS ?
You are using 0.97 personal right ?
I can't reproduce your problem sorry.

with best regards

Leo
June 03, 2010 09:44PM
Leo - I'm on XP sp3, and I use the Zune theme. I ran the same setup on my desktop, without this problem. Yes, I use v .9.7.

I see I'm also getting the UI truncation on other Command Editor views, such as the Add Action panel cuts off the two large controls, bottom right (enable and remove, I believe). I can see just enough of them that I can clip them with the mouse and activate them.

BTW, I'm still not getting notifications here, though I reset my board prefs and then resubbed to this thread. I'll keep checking manually each day.

bw,
p.
June 04, 2010 02:09AM
Did you change your font size in windows (though it does not seem so on your screenshot)?
June 04, 2010 08:59AM
I'm not sure about system font size, but I did switch it to Verdana - from what, Tahoma? Maybe that's worth a check...
June 04, 2010 09:09AM
Well, I thought I changed system font, but in Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced all I see is tahoma, sans serif, trebuchet - standard MS fare. But it's very possible I changed the font size, like maybe from 8 to 9. I have no direct control there over fonts for control buttons, but maybe another setting changes that too.
June 29, 2010 01:12PM
I have had a similar problem earlier when I increased my font size.

I am used to strokeit so I managed to do with the missing visual components.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 17?