Contact Us

StrokeIt

Shift+Delete doesn't work in Explorer

Posted by Henry 
Henry
Shift+Delete doesn't work in Explorer
January 04, 2010 12:36PM
Win7 x64

I tried setting up both a hotkey command and send keystrokes command to use Shift + Delete (permanently delete a file without sending it to the recycling bin) in Windows Explorer, but when I use the gesture it only presses Delete without the shift key.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems with setting up shortcuts and such. Other gesture shortcuts work fine in Explorer, I tested Ctrl Shift Escape to see if the Shift key was the problem but that worked okay. Any ideas?
Re: Shift+Delete doesn't work in Explorer
January 04, 2010 01:25PM
It works on my Win7 x64 Ultimate. Does it display the delete confirmation dialog?
Leo
January 04, 2010 01:33PM
Hello Henry,

What StrokeIt version do you use ?

What is your command ?

mine is Keys - Send Keystrokes

[SHIFT_DOWN][DELETE_DOWN][DELETE_UP][SHIFT_UP]

works with WinXP sp3

Thanks

Leo

Edit not as fast as gemisigo but more questions :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 01:37PM by Leo.
January 04, 2010 04:24PM
Yeah, it seems I'm getting a bit sloppy nowadays :)

Henry, are there any backup or security applications installed? Using SHIFT + DELETE does remove files without moving them to recycle bin first?

If I recall correctly, some of them tend to force deleted things into recycle bin no matter how you deleted them.
Henry
January 05, 2010 08:14AM
StrokeIt .9.7 beta personal

The keystroke I tried was
[SHIFT_DOWN][DELETE][SHIFT_UP]
then I tried Leo's
[SHIFT_DOWN][DELETE_DOWN][DELETE_UP][SHIFT_UP]

Nothing worked. Whenever I use the gesture I always get the 'move to recycle bin' prompt.

I use avast security. Using the keyboard to press shift-delete works properly, giving the 'permanent delete' prompt.

I also tried using the gesture to perm delete a shortcut on the desktop and I get the same problem as explorer.
Leo
January 05, 2010 08:40AM
beta ? download final and try again please
January 05, 2010 08:41AM
Just to clarify:

[SHIFT_DOWN][DELETE][SHIFT_UP] (using "Send Keystrokes")
is exactly the same as
[SHIFT_DOWN][DELETE_DOWN][DELETE_UP][SHIFT_UP] (using "Send Keystrokes)
which is also exactly the same as
Shift + Down (Using "Hotkey")

All three commands will work exactly the same, so pick whichever you prefer.

It sounds like something is interfering with your keystrokes. Does the command work if you uninstall Avast?

-- Jeff
Henry
January 05, 2010 03:50PM
Bah. I'm done.

I upgraded from beta to .9.4. I tried uninstalling Avast. Neither worked.

I tried the shift delete gesture on a XP x32 PC and it worked fine, but that wasn't too helpful because aside from the different OS I don't know of any significant differences between that PC's setup and the Win7 x64 one I use.

The weirdest thing is, I've "randomly" been able to get the gesture to work properly on my PC just once before it reverts to giving me the no shift key recycle bin delete. I don't know the actual conditions to get the gesture to work once and I don't feel like it's worth investing any more time to find out, but it seems like if I immediately used the gesture upon starting up my OS it would work correctly once. And it worked once also when I started up the OS and I did a different gesture first and then the shift delete gesture. Logging off and logging did not get the gesture to work properly.

In any event, I'm giving up on this. Thank you for your speedy replies and help. This one will probably remain a mystery for now.
January 05, 2010 04:09PM
You should not give up so easily :) Try the following, please:

Make the gesture once. If it fires correctly, try it again. If it fails now, try writing some text in a texteditorr (e.g. Notepad). If it writes in uppercase it may indicate your SHIFT sticks somehow. Press and release SHIFT on your keyboard and try again. If you get it right again, then SHIFT surely sticks. If so, we have the cause and we can move on to find the cure.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 6?