Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Causing hard crashes

Posted by Fleon 
Fleon
Causing hard crashes
June 24, 2009 01:48AM
Strokeit is causing hard crashes on my Win 7 64bit. Not everytime, but enough that it causes crashes within 10 minutes of use.

Everything stops working- I get the spinning circle and nothing works- I can hit CTRL-ATL-ESC for the task manager, but even it doesn't accept input.

Definitely related to something strokeit is doing. I never get crashes with strokeit unloaded.
Re: Causing hard crashes
June 24, 2009 06:46AM
If StrokeIt is crashing, it will write a crash report in %APPDATA%\TCB Networks\StrokeIt\CrashRpt If you have any files in there, please zip them up and email them to me (my email address is in the about screen)

-- Jeff
Fleon
June 24, 2009 11:53AM
Strokeit isn't crashing- it's making my computer seems like it's crashing. And even that isn't accurate, after a little more experimentation.

Strokeit will occassionally take over and stop passing certain actions for some reason- apps that are running (I found this out b/c I had a video running that kept going) keep running, but strokeit prevents me from things like: CTRL-F4, typing in active apps (this may be limited to apps listed in Strokeit, but I'm not 100% sure of that yet,) any mouse clicks at all.

After removing Explorer.exe from the apps in strokeit, I was this time able to hit the Windows key, do a "Taskkill /im strokeit.exe" and regain interaction with my computer. Earlier times I've had to do the hold down the power button until the laptop shuts off.

Any ideas?
Tom
June 30, 2009 08:56PM
Well you're not alone at least. I'm using vista 64, Strokeit causes my computer to "kind of crash" about 2-4 times a day. Its quite random, but it definitely only occurs when I actually perform a gesture.

Some things still work when it "crashes", for example I can still chat on windows live, or I can continue watching whatever video I had playing before the crash, but most other things that are explorer-related will stop working.

The way I fix it is ctrl+alt+del > task manager > use keyboard to navigate to the "processes" tab and select strokeit.exe (which is typically taking up 50-100% CPU usage when it crashes) and then end process using the E key.

I've added a shortcut to strokeit on my quick launch bar, because I decided the amount of time and stress it saves me on a day to day basis outweighs the amount of time and stress it causes me. I've also spent a lot of time finding and trying about 5 alternatives, but none work as well as strokeit...
Tom
July 01, 2009 12:13PM
After typing out that post, I realized I could make the process of restarting strokeit much easier.

So I did.

I created a .bat file containing this;
@echo off
taskkill /im strokeit.exe /f /t
start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\TCB Networks\StrokeIt" strokeit.exe

And then hotkeyed it to ctrl+f12, now whenever it freezes I can fix it in 1 sec :p
July 01, 2009 01:07PM
Are you seeing any patterns to when it's "crashing"? Are you always performing the same gesture, or using the same app?

I'm not seeing this on any of my test machines, but I'd love to get this fixed.

-- Jeff
Tom
July 01, 2009 05:37PM
The only pattern I notice is it happens when actually performing a gesture, which isnt much to go on but at least it doesnt happen randomly without performing a gesture~

It has happened when I've been closing browser tabs, moving to next tabs, opening new tabs, closing Q-Dir (my explorer-alternative), opening Q dir (which is assigned to "right" gesture), or just closing whatever (I've assigned "down" as a global alt+f4 hotkey).

Actually come to think of it, it happens more often when I'm using the down gesture to close things than it does when I'm doing other stuff.. but that may be because I tend to be closing more things with strokeit than I do opening things (most programs I use is not assigned to my gestures, and I usually open them by double clicking specific files instead of opening the program to load things - I also close chat windows which require no "opening").

I have a 37 dmp files if you want, but half of them are 0 KB and I'm sure strokeit has crashed far more times than only 37... but still some may be helpful to you? I duno, emailed you them anyway.
Nemo
July 11, 2009 08:18PM
After execution of any application, with any gestures from the desktop, strokeit crashes. Sometimes it uses 25% of cpu before crash.
OS vista x32 sp2, quadcore cpu.

http://rapidshare.com/files/254768780/CrashRpt.zip.html
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 8?