Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Wrong keystrokes getting sent randomly

Posted by Piyush Soni 
Piyush Soni
Wrong keystrokes getting sent randomly
June 04, 2009 08:37PM
Hi developers of StrokeIt. It is one of the greatest apps I have seen :) Thanks a lot for that.
I'm facing one main trouble though and I don't know if someone else has seen this problem.

Many times, I have noticed that StrokeIt doesn't send correct keystrokes (or hot keys) as configured to the application. That happens just randomly with no order known to me. For example, in Visual Studio 2005 I configured the left gesture as Ctrl. + hyphen(or minus) which takes us to the last edit position. It works almost always, but some times sends wrong keys. For example right now I guess it is sending 'Alt + F + D', causing it to open the File->Add pop up menu even though the left stroke is still assigned to "Ctrl. + -" as the hotkey.

Similarly, there's another application in which I have configured the left gesture as Alt + F + 1 + Enter (which will effectively open the last document from the recent document list). But many times it opens not the last document, but the 2nd or 3rd or any other document from that list. I think it is because it's pressing something else.

Does all this make sense or I'm completely wrong here?

Thanks!
Re: Wrong keystrokes getting sent randomly
June 05, 2009 10:06AM
I've never heard of the keys plugin sending the wrong characters - I don't think it's even possible. Is it possible you're actually invoking a different gesture, like / down instead of left?
Piyush Soni
Re: Wrong keystrokes getting sent randomly
June 08, 2009 08:15PM
Even I thought it's not possible, but I can say something's going wrong because other gestures are not even configured for that application. At least none of them configured are meant to open a file like this(In my last example). They are for completely different purpose. The application only has a left gesture defined and no down or down-left or up-left gestures defined.

Something's wrong somewhere but I don't know what. Like in the first application, left gesture is for Ctrl + hyphen, it should never press Alt + F + D. This happened only one day, but many times this left gesture doesn't do anything.

Is there any way we can debug and see which characters are being sent to the application?

Thanks,
Piyush
Piyush Soni
Re: AAAAAHHH !!
June 09, 2009 08:44PM
I solved a big part of the mystery. The reason application was opening older files and not the most recent ones was this : I had configured 'Left' gesture for Alt + F -> 1 -> Enter. This would open the File menu, press key 1 for the recent document and then press enter. Now, the thing which was making me mad for so many days was that when I was dragging my mouse left, SOME TIMES my mouse would move over the recent document list of the 'momentarily' open File menu and change the selection from the first file to some other file !! (Before the key strokes could send the Enter key) and that would cause some other file to open, taking huge time to open an older 3d Model which I didn't want to. :(

The work around is, to drag the mouse left, but keeping in mind that the mouse is far away from the file menu :) :)

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue. (Though I still don't know about the Visual Studio's single day reproducible problem. I guess you can forget that also. )

Thanks again for such an awesome application :)
Piyush
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 18?