Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Play Sound bug and more

Posted by ferzal 
ferzal
Play Sound bug and more
January 10, 2002 07:24AM
<HTML>It's getting there but I'm finding a few bugs here and there.
Sometimes, and I can't figure out what triggers it, StrokeIt failes to remember the wav file that has been set in the play sound command. I can browse, choose the file and it will show in the edit box but if I click off that command and return it is blank. From then on I can't create any play sound commands until I shutdown and restart the app.

You really need to have the settings saved too. As I've found out the really really hard way all settings are lost on a crash. I have to exit and restart the program to save the settings. A small hassle if you know about it. A hairpulling experience if you didn't.

The multimonitor commands don't work for me completely. I have to use next monitor to go from the secondary to the primary which makes sense considering they are in that order from left to right but if I try to use previous to take the window from right to left the window restores and maximises on the same monitor and stays there. Minimising it from that point causes it to disappear off the taskbar. I run multimon which could cause a conflict. I haven't tried it with it turned off.

I'm running win2k and the previous and next task functions do absolutely nothing for me.

Also, when I launch the web browser or any program via run they start in restore size rather than maximise regardless of their last saved size setting. Starting the programs via other methods bring them up maximised.

Other than those mostly small probs its great. The only other thing I'd like to see is some security so I can use the app for logging into websites etc.

Keep up the great work!</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Play Sound bug and more
January 10, 2002 09:05AM
<HTML>Thank you for the comprehensive bug report.

1) Sounds: I'll have a look.

2) Are you using beta 5a? The savings should be saved when you close the editor window...and the program really shouldn't be crashing anyways, I haven't had any problems with it in quite some time. Can you, reproducibly, make it crash?

3) It's possible that ultramon is causing the conflict. You're not the first to report this. Are you using 2 video cards, or a dual-head video card?

4) Yeah, I know...it seems to only work on 9x/NT4. Bummer, it was a nice hack (MS really doesn't want you to be able to access the taskbar like that, for some reason). I'm trying to come up with a more general solution.

5) As far as I know, unless the web browser internally stores the window start (k-meleon seems to be the only browser that does at this time), it's up to the shortcut to remember the window state. As a workaround, you can simply use the run command, and point it to your shortcut, which should let windows handle the window state.

6) Any security you'd build in would be faux security. It'd be nice to be able to store encrypted text, but you'd have to decrypt it and some point to send it to the web browser, and it really wouldn't be very difficult to hack notepad to make windows/strokeit think that it's really your browser, so that StrokeIt would type the text directly into notepad, in plaintext.</HTML>
ferzal
January 10, 2002 09:56AM
<HTML>Yes I am using 5a. I remember now that the editor window caused the crash and I think I had it open for a long time configuring stuff. I'll know better next time.

I can't reliably reproduce the crashes. I've only had 3 crashes. One crash occurred when I attempted to drag an action from one application to another but I can't reproduce it.

I am using 2 vid cards. I can use ultramon's hotkeys with stroke-it anyway I've realised. No problem from my point of view. Likewise with next/previous window option I saw a workaround in another post that does the job nicely.

With the launching I was referring to Internet Explorer as well as windows explorer. Launching exporer.exe has the same behaviour. I can run explorer.exe from run command and it will remember it's settings and start maximised but if I launch it with strokeIt it will start in a default restored state. Once again no big deal I suppose - just a little niggle. I can work around it.

As for the security I know nothing's bulletproof but something is better than nothing. A bit of password stuff might stop people accidentally discovering things you wish hidden and could deter others and certainly slow them down. Locking the door of your house doesn't mean you won't get burgled but it helps :P

One more thing I'm having some trouble with. Post/Send Message doesn't like it if I enter things like WM_COMMAND or WM_CLOSE (for example) in Message ID. What should I be entering? And one more question.. does StrokeIt wait for confirmation after SendMessage before continuing or does it plod on regardless?

I think before long I'll be able to throw my kb away :P</HTML>
ferzal
January 10, 2002 10:09AM
<HTML>I've just tried pointing the launch explorer action to a shortcut and the same thing happens. I've even specified explicitly that it should start maximised. This only happens when it's launched with StrokeIt.

Any clues?</HTML>
Jeff
January 10, 2002 10:40AM
<HTML>With regards to security, I agree: obfuscation is better than nothing, but a false sense of security is sometimes worse than no security at all. I can easily add something like "Send Password", which would simply store the text in an obfuscated manner, which will keep casual users from discovering your password. It's really that best that can be achieved from something like this...even if it's going to be send over SSL, it still needs to be decrypted at some point so that it can be re-encrypted using the host's key. I just think it's important to distinguish this a "obfuscation" or "protection" rather than "security". Real security, of course, should be implemented well before anything gets to a user application (encrypted filesystem, user profiles/passwords, etc)

Send message requires the numeric value of the message, WM_COMMAND is 273, and WM_CLOSE is 16. Expanding the text definitions will be added in future versions.

I'll look into the program execution code, thanks for the information.</HTML>
Jeff
January 10, 2002 10:59AM
<HTML>To answer your question about wating for sendmessage to return, yes, StrokeIt will wait for SendMessage to return a value. If you don't want to wait for the message to return, use PostMessage. Refer to any Windows API resource guide for the exact differences between SendMessage and PostMessage.</HTML>
ferzal
January 10, 2002 08:16PM
<HTML>Thanks for that. Actions using SendMessage are working great for WM_COMMAND messages. It would be great if I had the numeric values of the message names. I haven't been able to find any resource that tells me. Not being a programmer (not a real one anyway) I have no resources on that sort of thing other than Microsoft's own.</HTML>
Jeff
January 10, 2002 08:22PM
<HTML>Check out:

http://doc.ddart.net/msdn/header/include/winuser.h.html

the definitions are in hexidecimal, so you'll have to convert it to decimal.</HTML>
Scott
January 12, 2002 09:12PM
<HTML>To bring back the multi-mon thing, is that resolved now, or are you still having issues with it? I got a little lost going through the posts.

-Scott</HTML>
ferzal
January 12, 2002 09:56PM
<HTML>It's resolved from my point of view in that I'm not using the plugin commands - I'm just using the shortcuts of ultramon. I couldn't get the plugin to work properly no.</HTML>
ferzal
January 12, 2002 10:01PM
<HTML>Some updates on the bugs.

I've managed to crash StrokeIt quite a number of times by dragging commands from one action to another. It's also crashed while I've been attempting to make gestures on Internet Explorer while it's 'thinking'. The gestures weren't related to Internet Explorer but it didn't like me drawing over it.

I've also had some settings problems again. I created a bag of new gestures and some actions to go with them. I shutdown StrokeIt and have since rebooted. The new actions are there with the new gesture names applied but the new gestures are nowhere to be found in the set of gestures. They have disappeared.</HTML>
Scott
January 13, 2002 02:21PM
<HTML>O.k., so the multimon issue isn't REALLY resolved, it's just not a problem for you anymore.

What exactly was occuring before? And what hardware/screen dimensions/etc are you using?

-Scott</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 3?