Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Gestures don't work

Posted by Genesis 
Genesis
Gestures don't work
September 27, 2003 05:00PM
Suddenly I wasn't able to do any gestures anymore ;( I have no idea what could have caused this. But it is as you can understand very anoying as I have become extremly dependent of the strokeit gestures lately. What could be wrong?
Kev
Re: Gestures don't work
October 10, 2003 11:26AM
same here
Jeff
October 10, 2003 02:39PM
Check the size of the file strokes.bin in Program Files\StrokeIt\Gestures. If it's zero, your gestures may have gotten overwritten somehow.

-- Jeff
Cory
December 24, 2003 11:03PM
No gestures work at all for me. Some how none of the gestures work in Opera either. I just reinstalled the program and wrote over everything in the old folder. This is a fresh install, no settings where changed....why isn't it working?
Scott
December 25, 2003 07:22PM
Make sure you use jeff's suggestion, and make sure that you have mhook.dll in your strokeit folder.
Alex
January 08, 2004 01:50PM
Hi I had exactly the same problem. No gestures worked (though they appeared on the screen).

I uninstalled the program including all files. I manually deleted the installfolder (I don't know why it was still there).

I cleand my Regestry using RegSupreme with extradeep mode (Free Trail works full for 20 Days)
I manually search the registry for Strokeit (Run Regedit - Searchfunction)

I reinstalled it and it works again.

But be careful. Make a backup from you Regystry by Exporting it (Marker on toplevel). Also use the Backup function from RegSupreme (Automatically pops up before each clean)

I am not responsable for any mess you do to your PC. This is just a hint.

And thanks agian for you great tool. I'm addicted and I got all my friends excited about it too. ;-)

It's so cool that there are still frea tool that are so helpfull.

Alex
Germany
Martin
January 17, 2004 11:00AM
Same problem, 5 minutes ago all my gestures were gone.
Gestures.bin is 5k big.
Will try to reinstall.
Shane
February 02, 2004 04:01PM
I have had the same problem. My strokes.bin is 5kb. It has happened quite a few times. When I uninstall it and then reinstall it, it still doesn't work, even if I delete the installation folder. I have to delete the key in the registry for it to work again. I hope this is fixed soon because it is annoying. StrokeIt is a great program and I still use it, but it gets real old having to do this.

Thanks,
Shane
Jeff
February 02, 2004 04:13PM
Shane,

What registry key do you need to delete to make things work?

-- Jeff
Shane
February 03, 2004 09:59AM
Hkey_Current_ User/software/strokeit

I'm not a registry expert by far, I just have a problem with experimenting. I do want to add that the benefits of Strokeit far out weigh the problems that I have had. I love it.

Thanks,
Shane
Paul
February 23, 2004 08:11PM
When I right click to draw gestures, all that happens is the standard Windows right click window: ARRANGE ICONS BY; PROPERTIES, NEW... etc.

Any suggestions?
Zen
February 25, 2004 11:33PM
Love the program, it changed the way I use my computer forever.

Paul, I suggest you try following the advice above, it worked for me.

In a nutshell, this is what I did:

(I'm running Window XP, so the following directions may be different or not work at all on other operating systems or setups.)

1.) Uninstall strokeit (Don't export your config! I know it sucks starting from scratch, but the problem gets exported too. I tried it several times, every time I imported my config and didn't start from scratch, the gestures failed to work.)

2.) Delete the folder "C:\Program Files\Strokeit"

3.) Fire up regedit, and delete the keygroup Shane pointed out above. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StrokeIt)

4.) Reinstall Strokeit.

Best of luck to you all.
Zen
February 25, 2004 11:37PM
I should mention, of course, that the above advice should be considered a last-ditch effort. Only to be attempted when everything else has failed.

(Make sure you don't have gestures disabled, or disabled in the program you are using. Also make sure you check the preferences menu and verify that you didn't mistakenly change which mouse button activates the gestures, etc.)

I had a similar problem to Paul's above. My gestures stopped displaying on the screen (no colored line), and I would get the normal right click menu instead.

Hope that helps.
popojan
March 23, 2004 02:16PM
Similar problems here. It seems it is a common problem.
From time to time all the defined applications, actions and commands disappear (same issue is reported by my friend too).

Two days ago another thing happened - somehow the strokes.bin got overwritten by a zero-size file, so that seemingly everything is ok - the gestures are drawn - but indeed they are not recognized, no action is invoked.

StrokeIT has become my second nature so it is a bit annoying.
How could I help to debug these bugs?
Thanks.

Jan Popelka
Brian Pipa
April 21, 2004 07:47AM
Same thing just happened to me. gestures where working fine, then all of a sudden I noticed they aren't working anymore. I can't seem t oget them to work again. My gestures.bin file is not zero, I have mhook.dll, I made sure gestures aren't disabled, I made sure the settings haven't chanegd the mouse button to activate it. I REALLy don't want to re-install :(

I'm running Windows 2000 if it matters

brian
Brian Pipa
April 21, 2004 07:52AM
Ok, I fixed mine. My Global actions were enabled (as they should be). I disabled them then tried a gesture - nothing happened. then I re-enabled them and now hey all work again. Maybe a bug in hte Enable/disable of global actions?

Brian
StephenP
May 22, 2004 03:27PM
I have had similar probs.

i am sad to say i will give up on strokeit for the time being, can maybe give it another go on the next version
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 7?