Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Something odd with U and V

Posted by Michael Kairys 
Michael Kairys
Something odd with U and V
September 18, 2003 04:55PM
It seems StrokeIt can't distinguish between U and V gestures. Very well. However...

U and U Reversed are in the documentation but not in the Gestures drop-down list.

V is in the drop-down list but not V Reversed.

If I hand-edit a .cfg file and put in two actions using U and U Reversed they work as expected.

If I hand-edit a .cfg file and put in two actions using V and V Reversed both gestures invoke the "V" action.

If I hand-edit a .cfg file and put in two actions using U and V the "U" action is invoked by a V gesture and the V action is invoked by a V Reversed action.
Scott
Re: Something odd with U and V
September 18, 2003 09:45PM
The StrokeIt engine recognizes patterns in such a method that makes U and V look the same. This is so that things like a W, which can be drawn with pointed bottoms, or rounded bottoms, and M, which is the same (as well as many other symbols) can still be recognized effectively. U and U reversed being in the documentation is accidental (I just went through the alphabet and made every letter, and common symbols). V and V reversed (or U and U Reversed, if you'd prefer) shouldn't trigger the same, however. This could be an issue if you've accidentally taught StrokeIt to recognize one as the other.

-Scott
Jeff
September 19, 2003 07:54AM
Apparently, I made a typo in the gestures\strokes.bin file. If you edit that by hand, near the bottom of the file, you'll see a definition like this:

V {
alias=U Reversed
}

change that to

V Reversed {
alias=U Reversed
}

and the V Reversed gesture will work for you.

U and V (and U Reversed and V Reversed) are the same gesture. Technically, V is an *alias* of U. If either U or V is already used in an application, they will both disappear from the dropdown box.

-- Jeff
Michael Kairys
September 19, 2003 10:37AM
Jeff wrote:

> ... If you edit that by hand ...

Got it, thanks. Good design decision, IMO, to go with text files for configuration (Something Unix did right ;-)

> If either U or V is already used in an application,
> they will both disappear from the dropdown box.

Oh! I didn't get it that the dropdown box works that way. But of course it must, else you'd have to get into complications like "That gesture is already used in ... Do you want to replace it ... Yes/No/Cancel".

daidaiworm
hardly to recongnize "U"
January 07, 2004 10:10PM
.9.2a
win2k Chinese edition

"U" and "U reversed" are really can recongnized. But it is hard to judge the right gestures.
Usually, "U" recongnizes as "8".
"U reversed" recongnizes as "K".

why is that? any solution?
Scott
January 07, 2004 11:41PM
Your solution is to train strokeit to better recognize how you draw your gestures. :)

-Scott
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 6?