Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Systray icon on startup

Posted by skip 
skip
Systray icon on startup
December 16, 2002 09:30AM
<HTML>Hi! I noticed one strange behaviour, I am ready to admit that this is not StrokeIt bug if it is so :) When I try to execute a command-line program cdspeed (not the Asus one) at startup along with StrokeIt, StrokeIt starts sucessfully and gestures are working, but icon in systray don't appear. Deselecting and selecting again the option to show it don't do anything. I tried to start that cdspeed program form HCU run in registry and from startup directory, that makes no difference. I can provide a link to that prog, but you gotta believe me that this is not virus, because its homepage is very brief and in Russian. This happens on WinXP Pro.

I thought may be that's the problem with any command-line tool, not with cdspeed only?</HTML>
skip
Re: Systray icon on startup
December 18, 2002 06:04PM
<HTML>Hello?

Thank you for noticing and reacting. However, if somebody has problems with simultanious starting of StrokeIt with something, I found the workaround - starting cdspeed from local machine / run in registry instead of user / run, i.e. a little sooner than StrokeIt, worked.</HTML>
Jeff
December 18, 2002 09:57PM
<HTML>Skip,

Sorry for not posting anything sooner, I promise you were not being ignored :) I'm glad you found a workaround. If anyone else has had this problem, please post the specifics here as I have been unable to recreate it so far.

-- Jeff</HTML>
skip
December 19, 2002 08:21AM
<HTML>Sorry from my side for sounding unsatisfied, your piece of software is exellent and far superior to any analogues (well, to one analogue that I am aware of) and your support is great.

If you'll want to recreate the problem, you can download that tool, which is only 37kb in size - http://vdruzhin.chat.ru/yasniy/cdspd11w.zip. What it does, it's change the speed of CD drive and exits, not sitting in memory like the other similar tools, very handy. But it's completely unnecessary, since I was the only one with that strange trouble, just if you'll want to try it for pure interest.

Besides, I suspect that maybe for recreating that one should have non-standart non-microsoft visual style for XP and modified uxtheme.dll from SP1 on non-SP1 Windows XP :)</HTML>
skip
December 20, 2002 09:25AM
<HTML>Well, I didn't found a workaround in fact. Now sometimes StrokeIt shows its icon on startup, sometimes not, with no differences in anything between startups. I guess I have to decide now which tool is more important to me, I think that it will be StrokeIt :)</HTML>
Jeff
December 20, 2002 10:56AM
<HTML>I can't get cdspeed to run on my system (I don't have the ASPI layer installed), so I can't do much to figure this out.

If you don't run cdspeed on startup, but instead run it manually after StrokeIt has loaded, what happens?

-- Jeff</HTML>
skip
December 20, 2002 08:30PM
<HTML>Jeff,

I really don't want to bother you since that's not a common problem. In most cases when some problem with software is unique to one person, that is not that software's fault :) Maybe that's cdspeed, which was made in 99, without any respect to Win XP of course.

When I start cdspeed manually nothing bad happens, StrokeIt icon stays in its place. Btw, the StrokeIt is the only one loading to systray, and there is three things total loading at startup, those two and MS thing for changing keyboard layout, ctfmon.

I think I'll keep downloading new versions, sometimes the problems go away that way by themselves.

Sorry for my long answers, maybe all this was just an excuse to say how I am fond of StrokeIt, literally the smallest process in my task manager, but one of the most useful apps :)</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 18?