Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

For StrokeIt to recognise domains within a browser

Posted by chelseadude 
For StrokeIt to recognise domains within a browser
March 12, 2011 11:35AM
Apps such as gmail, google calendar and others have their own keyboard shortcuts. It would be useful to be able to set particular gestures on these websites without disrupting the usual browser gestures. Perhaps StrokeIt could recognise https://mail.google.com/ for example, and therefore have different gestures within this domain. Alternatively StrokeIt could recognise gmail or google calendar as apps.
Re: For StrokeIt to recognise domains within a browser
March 12, 2011 01:21PM
Actually, gmail and google calendar are not applications (at least not in windows terms). They run in the browser so to StrokeIt they all seem to be the same ordinary browser. You can make StrokeIt (try to) recognize them as different applications by identifying them by window title and using pattern match.

Regarding the usual browser gestures, if they are triggered by the same button, you can use either StrokeIt or the browser gestures but not both. If they are triggered by different mouse buttons they won't interfere to each other anyway.
March 14, 2011 07:23PM
Ok, without getting into a debate on what an application is, in Google Chrome you can create 'application shortcuts' so that many things such as G-mail and Google Calendar can run on the desktop. They don't depend on the browser being open, although they do have the same window class. I've recognised Google Calendar already by window title; but I didn't want G-mail on the desktop (task bar is getting crowded, and soon (hopefully) due to HTML5 G-mail will be able to put notifications on the desktop whether or not chrome is running using the G-mail 'web app').

To be clearer on what I meant regarding the different gestures; for example I use the
and
gestures to go left and right between tabs on the browser, and to go to the previous and next week when using Calendar. I know I could set them to use different gestures whilst StrokeIt recognises the browser, G-mail and Calendar as the same thing but I don't for one thing want to have to remember more gestures and secondly I think I'm running out of gestures within the browser! It would just be useful to me to have them recognised more easily as different applications (the window title on G-mail changes quite a bit when moving between e-mails and such so it's difficult even to match text as pattern). Obviously I don't know how easy it would be to implement but I thought I'd throw it out there!

Thanks for your response!
March 14, 2011 08:47PM
You're right, we should not get into a debate about it :) I use Chrome and know about the application shortcuts and believe me, they do not make an 'application'. The thing you open by them is running in the browser. It does not depend on the browser running because it will use the browser if it runs and start one if it does not. You can check that by window task manager, by Chrome's own task manager or simply by taking a peep at the shortcut it creates (this page would create something like this:
C:\Users\anonymous\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --app="ht tp://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?4,55653,55656#msg-55656" )

Going back to gestures, if you meant the regular StrokeIt gestures for browser, you can still define different actions for the same gestures in the browser by defining applications (StrokeIt term) for your special gestures identified by window title. Gmail seems quite consistent in using the "myemail@gmail.com - Gmail - Google Chrome" string in window title so you can use that as a pattern. This way your gestures will work regardless you start Gmail from Chrome or as an 'application'. You can define another application with the common gestures for the rest of the tabs using window class.

The only thing you should take care of is the order of the applications (still StrokeIt term). StrokeIt gestures override from top to bottom (that is why Globals are the first in the list). If you define app "Chrome 1 Gmail" (identified by window title) with the spec. gestures for mail and "Chrome 2 Calendar" (also identified by window title) with the spec gestures for the calendar and finally "Chrome 3 Common" with the tab switching action for Left and Right and the rest you should get what you want. You have to do this way because (based on experience) the override is one level only. The second occurrence overrides the first one (which is usually in the global) and any subsequent occurrences are ignored. This way your gestures with different meaning in mail/calendar tabs (or even Chrome applications) will be captured by the StrokeIt application Mail/Calendar before executing their actions recognized as Common gestures.

Let me know if you have trouble setting up the above scenario.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 08:48PM by gemisigo.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 6?