Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Please add possibility of making gestures with any mouse button, not only Right or Left button (+)

Posted by Gorky 
Please add possibility of making gestures with any mouse button, not only Right or Left button.

If I draw with Left button, one action will run.
If I draw the same gesture with Right button, another action taken.

Also if I draw gesture with some key pressed (Ctrl, Alt, Shift), so action taken.

Thanx
Yes!! I agree 100% with this!!
Agree, it'd be GREAT. Also, it'd be fantastic if the program understood wheel tilting left and right.
That would be great indeed. Especially if you could left-drag a file into different gestures to do different things with it.
Well, I'd use tilting the wheel for volume increasing. Now I'm using whell up/down for this, it's so convenient! You can increase/decrease volume in any app by just rotating the wheel when the RMB is pressed.
However, I miss the task switching for which I've previously used the wheel. Is there no other way to do it?
You could try AutoHotkey, which supports WheelLeft and WheelRight (on Vista or Win7). With AHK you could also set hotkeys to left (or other) mouse button pressed + wheel up/down.
hmm... I'd rather not use any other software, I like minimalism. Also, I use XP Pro.
I am on XP Pro and I must say StrokeIt + AHK is the best combination I have ever used. I can highly recommend it. AHK is tiny, and easy to program. For example, I am using AHK to have StrokeIt carry out different actions depending on where on the screen the gesture is made. I only need a simple code like this for it:
^!+r::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
If (ypos < 70)
  SendInput ^+{Tab}
else
  {
  SendInput {Browser_Back}
  }
Return
I set StrokeIt to do control+alt+shift+R on the Left gesture. This code makes it so that the gesture results in doing control+shift+Tab if the cursor is less than 70 pixels down the screen, but makes the browser go back if the cursor is lower than that.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 11:38AM by Cerberus.
Excellent example, Cerberus, I like it. Though I would not use that in a browser I might adopt it to create similar solutions in other applications. Two thumbs up. Thank you very much ;)
Cerberus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am on XP Pro and I must say StrokeIt + AHK is
> the best combination I have ever used. I can
> highly recommend it. AHK is tiny, and easy to
> program. For example, I am using AHK to have
> StrokeIt carry out different actions depending on
> where on the screen the gesture is made. I only
> need a simple code like this for it:
> ^!+r::
> MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
> If (ypos < 70)
> SendInput ^+{Tab}
> else
> {
> SendInput {Browser_Back}
> }
> Return
> I set StrokeIt to do control+alt+shift+R on the
> Left gesture. This code makes it so that the
> gesture results in doing control+shift+Tab if the
> cursor is less than 70 pixels down the screen, but
> makes the browser go back if the cursor is lower
> than that.

Strange. I've created an .ahk file with the above commands and set stroke it to press ctrl+ shift+ alt+ r when performing a gesture, but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
@Rivendell: Hmm, that is strange. I have just disabled my normal AHK scripts and made a new file with only this code: it works for me (in Firefox). You might check these points:

1. If you have used the exact same code, there is the chance that control+shift+tab does nothing for your specific browser, or that the Browser_Back command doesn't work (for me, that only works when I have the program disabled that came with my wireless keyboard).
You could test this by having AHK send other hotkeys after SendInput, like #e (Windows+e, opens Explorer) and #d (Windows+d, goes to desktop and back), which I think will always have a noticeable result for testing purposes.

2. Are you sure the action is active for the right application, and that it recognizes the right gesture? You could test this by adding an On-Screen Display with some text to your action: if you don't see it, the problem is in StrokeIt; if you do see it, the problem is in AHK.

3. Do you see the green AHK icon active in the system tray? It should be there, unless it is hidden, in which case you should see it somewhere in your taskbar / system tray settings.
@Gemisigo: Thank you for liking it! It could be useful in some contexts. You could also have AHK carry out a different command based on the Control that the cursor is at, such as a form field or a menu bar or a text editing field of an application. I think you'd use the Getcontrol command for that (the AHK help file will explain how to use that). You can find out the name of the control by using the AHK Spy program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 04:49PM by Cerberus.
Recently (month ago) was released new software called "Just Gestures" witch easly handle both rocker gestures.
For now JG is less with function compared to StrokeIt but it seams to be develope definitely more often.
It's worth to check it out.
@cerebrus and others: Can I get AHK to work so that both left click and right click trigger the (same or different) gestures?
I need left click because I am finding the tap-release-tap-drag to be very convenient at times but want to retain the right click mode.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 8?