Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Solve StrokeIt Bug: Windows - Minimize makes window always top!!!

Posted by xmlspyspring 
Solve StrokeIt Bug: Windows - Minimize makes window always top!!!
March 27, 2019 01:53AM
Change default option Minimize - Mnimize to Keys - Send Keystrokes.
Then input
[CTRL_DOWN][ALT_DOWN][ESCAPE_DOWN][CTRL_UP][ALT_UP][ESCAPE_UP]
in InputBox.
actually, using CTRL+ALT+ESCAPE just unpins the window. the full solution is to add that hotkey command before the windows minimize command. so it is always unpinning the window before minimize, to workaround the bug.
Re: Solve StrokeIt Bug: Windows - Minimize makes window always top!!!
April 22, 2019 12:58PM
Oh my goodness it never occurred to me that StrokeIt has been causing this frustration for me ever since I started using Windows 10. I thought it was a Windows bug, hahahaha. Thanks for mentioning this solution. Putting in those keystrokes doesn't work for me, though... But at least I have a good place to start investigation.

Edit: Using Allen's description, I've settled on this for Minimize:

[ALT_DOWN][SPACE][ALT_UP]n

I hope that helps others!

xmlspyspring Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Change default option Minimize - Mnimize to Keys -
> Send Keystrokes.
> Then input
>
> [CTRL_DOWN][ALT_DOWN][ESCAPE_DOWN][CTRL_UP][ALT_UP][ESCAPE_UP]
> in InputBox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 01:04PM by jrronimo.
thank you this solved my issue.

xmlspyspring Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Change default option Minimize - Mnimize to Keys -
> Send Keystrokes.
> Then input
>
> [CTRL_DOWN][ALT_DOWN][ESCAPE_DOWN][CTRL_UP][ALT_UP][ESCAPE_UP]
> in InputBox.
Your solutions are awesome, and I'll put my solution too, to compile all the solutions in one treat:

Disabled "draw colored line when entering gestures." in "General" in "Preferences".
This was the only thing I need to modify to make strokeIt works in every new winOS since win98 died.

I love StrokeIt, thank you so much, Jeff Doozan.

qoixiop
Re: Solve StrokeIt Bug: Windows - Minimize makes window always top!!!
December 11, 2020 03:35PM
I still run into this bug from time to time... The problem is that I can never get windows to unpin once it starts happening. CTRL+ALT+ESC never fixes it.

But I still love StrokeIt, so I'll keep using it. :D I'm going to try qoixiop's suggestion to disable drawing the colored line. I like having it, but not if it's causing this problem!
So, much as I know reopening old threads is frowned upon... I just discovered this thread, and like several of you, I was gratified to find that what I had *thought* was a Windows 10 bug - windows periodically getting stuck in always-on-top mode - was actually a StrokeIt glitch. No, there is no way I will stop using StrokeIt, it's waaaay too useful. I've just changed the Minimize gesture behavior to the keystroke suggested by jrronimo, and fingers crossed that it'll work. I have however, prior to figuring out just what was causing the AOT behavior, written a little program in AutoIt that "unpins" - or if you prefer and don't mind me mangling the English language, "un-always-on-top's" - windows that have been AOT afflicted. My applet displays a small crosshair at the lower right corner of the screen; simply drag and drop the crosshair onto the affected window and they will be repaired. I'm happy to share the sourcecode for anyone that wants it. Mail me at threap3 at gmail.com - (if you're not a spambot, be sure to remove the digit :) ) if you would find it handy. Prior to writing this applet, the only way I'd found to un-AoT windows was to close and re-open them. Which is a pain in the proverbial if the window in question is Firefox with a bajillion tabs open. Which it usually was. For the longest time, I thought this was a Firefox bug.
Oh, and I can't end this comment without giving huge thanks to Jeff for writing StrokeIt!
I made a gesture that changes the window's "Always On Top" status. It's an option - "Utilities - Toggle Always On Top"

Just draw the gesture on top of the window that gets stuck on top. Simple fix.
I've tried many ways, but all of them have problems.

We solved it in the following way, so I hope it helps.

Use the run autohotkey exe file.

-------------------
#NoTrayIcon

MouseGetPos,,, aID
WinGetClass, Class, ahk_id %aID%
If Class not in Progman, Shell_TrayWnd
WinMinimize, ahk_id %aID%
-------------------
save run.ahk
and compile run.ahk to run.exe
stroke it run 'run.exe' when /Down !!!
I've been using the [ALT_DOWN][SPACE][ALT_UP]n solution for a few years now, as it's the only thing that's worked for me. But it doesn't work for all programs, and if my computer is being even slightly slow it doesn't work and just brings up the alt+space menu.

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop, and was wondering if the issue is still present for anyone on Windows 11?
I, too, have been suffering from this small inconvenience for years. I've used all of the above methods except for Autohotkey, but I've had problems both big and small (Autohotkey is restricted by my company).
Anyway, I am having the same problem even though I have moved from win10 to win11.
Honestly, I don't know if this will ever be fixed, and even if the creator did fix it for a fee with a Pro version, I'd be willing to pay it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 9?