Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Replacements for StrokeIT for the future?

Posted by septemter15th 
Replacements for StrokeIT for the future?
February 12, 2019 10:58PM
I have been using strokeIT for a long time and love it however it appears that it is no longer being developed. Just wondering if you guys have found another gesture application of equal or better quality and future. Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: Replacements for StrokeIT for the future?
February 18, 2019 06:54PM
I'm interested in this as well. I found StrokesPlus (much more complicated and didn't work correct for me?) and FastKeys (commercial and not that extensive?).

I'm also interested in more alternatives.
February 19, 2019 10:05AM
I've looked occasionally but never found anything close. And since StrokeIt continues to work well for me I'm not highly motivated...
Disclaimer: I'm the developer of StrokesPlus

There really isn't much out there especially in terms of the simplicity and speed of StrokeIt; obviously I look for other similar apps on a regular basis (including still visiting the StrokeIt forum!).

I rewrote StrokesPlus to StrokesPlus.net which is a much nicer interface than the original StrokesPlus, but it's still much more complicated than StrokeIt. It's also not quite as responsive since there's more overhead, the trade off with flexibility versus speed, not to mention much higher running memory usage since it uses the .NET framework.

I always intended to make an easy mode for non-technical people, but it's always so much extra work that I keep pushing it off since I don't have a lot of free time.

However, I have been actively developing and maintaining StrokesPlus/StrokesPlus.net since 2011 and have no plans to stop anytime soon. I also have a Discord server that I am actively engaged in daily to help people with scripts in live chat if they are struggling.

I started using StrokeIt in 2004 and fell in love with it, I started out just wanting to make something similar since I would visit the forums way back then and always saw people asking "Where's Jeff??" etc, so I wanted to make another option, but also with some extra capabilities. I have only the utmost respect for what Jeff has done, without him I never would have known the world of gestures to which I'm now addicted!

Feel free to remove this post, as I know it's a bit of an overreach to post here, but I just wanted to put it out there as Jeff seems to have been gone for a long time.
April 14, 2019 10:40PM
I have bought / donated to both Stroke It and Strokes Plus a long time ago, first one, then the other. I have enjoyed working with both. I switched from Stroke It to Strokes Plus a long time ago; if I remember correctly, it was because of stability and functionality. Stroke It is faster, though. But I've been very happy with Strokes Plus (haven't tried the .net version yet).
Martijn
April 17, 2019 08:42AM
Can we convince Mr StrokeIt author sir to opensource this project?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 20?