Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

For Windows 8/8.1 users, I recommend to use StrokePlus.

Posted by aoeui 
This is not an advertisement.

StrokeIt was one of my favorite two programs (the other is AutoHotkey), but it is buggy in Windows 8/8.1, for example the taskbar icon issue and the line sometimes disappears.

So where is the author Jeff?

Then I found StrokePlus, it works perfectly in Windows 8/8.1, and most importantly it is Lua script based, so it is more powerful. And it is digitally signed, so you don't have to run StrokeIt in elevated mode to control programs like Regedit.

I highly recommend StrokePlus to all users, especially Windows 8/8.1 users.
Sorry, the program's name should be StrokesPlus, not StrokePlus.
Re: For Windows 8/8.1 users, I recommend to use StrokePlus.
October 28, 2013 09:11AM
Just for the record, I use StrokeIt on Windows 8 with no problems...
November 04, 2013 11:59PM
I still prefer StrokeIt. The only issue I've had on Windows 8 is the persistent taskbar icon, but you can get rid of that easily by performing the minimize gesture on the icon itself,
I tried to use it a few months ago but
I came back to Stokeit due to StrokesPlus's confilict with AHK.
November 05, 2013 03:48PM
Out of curiosity, to what conflict are you referring?
Scroll acceleration code below and IME cursor detector collapse in some time

below:
===========================================================
WheelDown::
WheelUp::
SetBatchLines, -1
SetKeyDelay, -1
If (A_ThisHotkey = A_PriorHotkey and A_TimeSincePriorHotkey < 50)
Send, {%A_ThisHotkey% 3}
Else Send, {%A_ThisHotkey%}
Return
==============================================================
I figured out that conflict mentioned above could be dodged by unchecking "Enable Mouse Wheel Relay" in the StrokesPlus preferences.
November 15, 2013 08:31AM
Ah, I was kind of wondering about that, but I'm not an avid AHK user and hadn't got around to testing it out. Thanks for posting, though, so I know in the future!
July 06, 2014 02:24AM
What functionality of strokeit does it lack?
I am also using AHK so need to make sure it works correctly.
StrokeIt is still better my friend. I've tried both, extensively. StrokesPlus is nice, especially with its scripting ability, but it does not work well with graphics-based software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. StrokeIt is totally flawless, I have never experienced any sort of a bug with anything on Windows xp or Windows7. I haven't tried it with Windows8.

But from a reliability standpoint, StrokeIt is far superior - it' clean, it never crashes, it never bugs, and responds just about 100% of the time. I honesty could give it a 100% in reliabiliy. However, I found StrokesPlus to be buggy at times, and non-responsive in certain situations. It is just not as good.

StrokeIt is the way to go. Too bad they gave it up - it's simply the most solid mousegestures software out there. And also, this is not an advertisement - I'm just a guy who happened to find out about it and enjoyed it.
October 03, 2014 06:22AM
Just an FYI, I've (the creator of StrokesPlus) have realized that I'm following the path of our good friend Jeff. I haven't released any updates nor have the desire to do so, so as I swore from the beginning, I've released the source code.

I'm sure there are many programmers with far more expertise than I who can transform S+ into something which really can become the best program out there and be a lot more user-friendly.

StrokesPlus Source Code: https://github.com/roblarky/StrokesPlus
To gorkyness, referring yout post from November 05, 2013.
What do you mean by "The only issue I've had on Windows 8 is the persistent taskbar icon, but you can get rid of that easily by performing the minimize gesture on the icon itself" ?
I have the issue but don't understand your solution.
Regards.
Philippe
January 27, 2015 06:44AM
Have a gesture assigned to "minimize" in global actions. For me it is "/".
Go to the taskbar and perform this gesture on the StrokeIt icon there.

P.S. I want to agree entirely with Boo. StrokeIt is almost flawless, one of the most solid apps I have ever had the pleasure to use. I'm on Windows 8.1 on a Surface 3 tablet and I use StrokeIt with the stylus and everything.

And I don't think it's abandoned. I think if we really need him, Jeff will return.
It looks like "minimize" trick does not work in Win 10 :(
Any other up in your sleeve? :)
Jesus Pedrosa
October 18, 2015 08:43PM
You can solve the taskbar issue running StrokeIt with the Compatibility set to "Windows XP Service Pack 2" in the file or shortcut properties.
Thanks Jesus, the compatibility trick worked with Win 10 :))
this topic is pretty useless. aoeui posted this information as if StrokeIt doesn't work properly under Windwows8 - when infact it works for everyone else including myself. He/she is the only one with the problem, so the problem is his/her system.

StrokeIt, even though it's no longer being updated, is still very superior to StrokesPlus, and I have extensively used both. It's just a little more stable and feel heavyweight even though it's lightweight. StrokesPlus was glitchy, buggy and didn't perform equally in all types of different softwares. StrokeIt (at least on my system) performs flawlessly in every program I assign it to.
January 11, 2016 07:14AM
Stan speaks my mind. I continue to use and depend on StrokeIt on my Surface Pro tablet with Windows 10, stylus and all. It has never failed to do what I asked of it.
To remove strokeit icon just enable winXP compatibility.
Enabling Windows XP compatibility only partially solves the problem for me on Windows 10. It hides the taskbar icon, but every time I start a gesture it shows up while the gesture is being drawn. So it's always blinking on and off, which is very annoying.

I'd rather stay with StrokeIt but not being able to fully hide the taskbar icon is a dealbreaker so if I can't figure this out I'm going to switch to StrokesPlus, thanks to OP for posting it here.
March 15, 2016 02:22PM
Thanks for the info. It is working on windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 10586 (v1511 November update) for running StrokeIt with the Compatibility set to "Windows XP Service Pack 2". For the icon appearing and disappearing on the win 10 taskbar while using gestures disable (uncheck) the setting 'Draw colored line when entering gestures'.

Registered here just to thank Jesus Pedrosa :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 02:23PM by RedDevil.
Hello! I am having issues with StrokeIt on my new Win 10, too:
If I set the comptibility to Windows XP, StrokeIt no longer starts up with Windows properly. I have to launch it manually and confirm UAC to make it run. Is there some other settings I forgot? Thanks in advance for your help!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 8?