Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Help beta test .9.7 personal

Posted by jeff 
Allen
Re: Help beta test .9.7 personal
October 28, 2009 05:31AM
i just upgraded from 0.9.6 to the 9-18-2009 beta by installing over the old version. after the upgrade, i noticed a bug with one of my send keystroke commands losing some of its data. i use to have more keystrokes in there but now only 2 lines of it remain. can this be fixed?
Allen
October 28, 2009 06:09AM
here's a .cfg test file to add to the actions folder...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p2z8aj

here are the keystrokes...
[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP][HOME]REMINDER: [END]...[TAB]Don't forget to [CTRL_DOWN]V[CTRL_UP]. Thanks.

the contents of the .cfg file remains unchanged until after you view the keystrokes in strokeit's interface. when you view the keystrokes, you can notice the text gets cut off to this...
[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP][HOME]REMINDER:

this is a problem with version 0.9.7 9-18-2009. can it be fixed?
Allen
October 28, 2009 06:12AM
btw: it seems that the keystroke text gets cut off after the colon : after REMINDER no matter what text. so problem may be related to the colon :
October 28, 2009 07:17AM
Nop. Your problem is related to the space after the colon. It gets cut because in keystroke mode spaces are not inserted by simply inserting spaces :) but with inserting [SPACE].
So your keystrokes will work if you change this:

"[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP][HOME]REMINDER: [END]...[TAB]Don't forget to [CTRL_DOWN]V[CTRL_UP]. Thanks. "

to this:

"[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP][HOME]REMINDER:[SPACE][END]...[TAB]Don't[SPACE]forget[SPACE]to[SPACE][CTRL_DOWN]V[CTRL_UP].[SPACE]Thanks.[SPACE]"

EDIT: Hmm, it seems that my lines aren't broken automatically on the page. It should be:

"[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP][HOME]REMINDER:[SPACE][END]...
[TAB]Don't[SPACE]forget[SPACE]to[SPACE][CTRL_DOWN]V[CTRL_UP].[SPACE]Thanks.[SPACE]"

without any line breaks/newlines/enters, of course.

I recommend you reading this: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Keystroke_plugin

By the way, please try to avoid double/triple/and so on posts. Edit your own post if it is necessary. It makes your post more comprehensible. It is also a bit pointless to post the (more or less) same question more than once (e.g. Maxthon thing). It won't make you get your answer faster.

EDIT2 : also consider that "[CTRL_DOWN]A[CTRL_UP][CTRL_DOWN]C[CTRL_UP]" == "[CTRL_DOWN]AC[CTRL_UP]"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 07:37AM by gemisigo.
Allen
October 28, 2009 11:49PM
We didn't have to use [SPACE] in 0.9.6 and earlier. Why are we forced to use the [SPACE] in 0.9.7? Is it really a necessary change or can the spacebar space be brought back? I prefer not to have to fix all my commands that are were made using the spacebar space from previous versions.
October 29, 2009 05:09AM
Well, that is your personal preference. Personally, I prefer the second option. Jeff must have had a very good reason to change its behavior because it made sending keystrokes a bit 'inconvenient'. But if we take space as a nonregular character (and it is since it is used as a delimiter many cases) his choice is quite reasonable.

It has its own drawbacks though. e.g. it's easier to count spaces inserted because you don't have to count them by selecting/stepping over and you can see clearly if there is a space present and not a newline, and so on. Space tends to be a hideous beast that can be a real nuisance. This way it can be detected easily. On the other hand most people will find cumbersome to type 7 characters instead of one. I don't mind. I can't recall any of my keystroke commands containing spaces.

Anyway, it's not a big deal to fix your commands, a single find-replace in a notepad can do it, If you are practised in lua you can write a script that can do that for you with a single stroke without the need for notepad at all. Sadly it won't work with the personal edition since lua is introduced in the enhanced version but it is a very powerful feature. I highly recommend.

Or you can revert to 0.9.6 but I don't think you would prefer that solution either, right?
Allen
October 29, 2009 07:17AM
I would like to hear an explanation from Jeff. Is the new space change necesary for some reason? Or is it just an overlooked bug? I would prefer to have it the old way because it makes sending text messages easier than having to go back and insert [SPACE] a bunch of times. Also easier to proof read text messages that way.

I also have a lot of commands scattered throughout that use text messaging typing. And I prefer not to have to go back and find and fix them if it's simply an overlooked bug. But if it's a necessary change for some reason, then I don't have a choice. So can this be fixed, Jeff?
October 31, 2009 01:41AM
The latest build should fix any problems with the keyboard plugin.

This is a release candidate, so please report any and all outstanding bugs.

-- Jeff
Allen
October 31, 2009 01:43AM
hi jeff, does this mean this space problem is fixed in the RC?
Spoonguard
October 31, 2009 10:07PM
I get

"This demo has expired.
You can find a newer version at our website.
Click OK to continue"

which brings me to the download page

This occurs whenever I try to run or install the application.

If this is a Feature and Not A Bug then I would have appreciated some warning before installing it.
October 31, 2009 11:08PM
I hope everyone enjoyed their Halloween!

There's a new build that fixes the misdated expiration. Sorry to anyone who was inconvenienced by this.

-- Jeff
Allen
November 01, 2009 02:18AM
i just installed the new version 0.9.7 RC 11-1 and its still a problem. its still removing my commands after the ' ' space. can it be fixed?
Allen
November 01, 2009 02:26AM
I also notice the gesture line color doesn't invert like it used to. I liked the inverting color effect because it makes the line easier to see. Can this be fixed?

BTW: I'm using Windows 7 x64
Allen
November 01, 2009 01:37PM
It seems that the ' ' space saves OK if made using 0.9.7. But it's still a problem if my settings are added from 0.9.6. I did shutdown StrokeIt before adding.

the problem seems to be caused by 0.9.7 adding quotes " " before and after the keystrokes in the .cfg files. but my 0.9.6 settings dont have quotes around the keystrokes. so therefore 0.9.7 still cuts off my 0.9.6 settings. can it be fixed so that 0.9.7 updates my 0.9.6 settings correctly?
Allen
November 02, 2009 02:06PM
i also found another problem with 0.9.7. i have a gesture set to activate my blank screensaver with no extra settings.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrnsave.scr

on 0.9.6 it works fine, but on 0.9.7 when i run the gesture i get a message saying "this screen saver has no options that you can set". can this be fixed too?
Allen
November 07, 2009 02:55AM
another issue: i notice there is a dupilcate "WinMsg - Send Message" in the commands drop down
November 07, 2009 03:18AM
Yep, they should be Send Message and Post Message. If I recall correctly they were called that way in previous versions.

When a message is with Send Message, the window procedure is called and the calling program waits for the message to be processed and replied back. Until then the execution of calling program (StrokeIt) is suspended. Post Message returns without waiting. Both have their advantages and their drawbacks.

With Send you have to wait but you can be sure that your message is processed, while with Post you can continue immediately but the results of your message might be undetermined.

You should choose whichever suits you better. You must guess first which of the two Sends is the Post, of course ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 03:21AM by gemisigo.
November 11, 2009 03:37PM
Hi! There is a problem in win7 (Russian Ver.). Hot-keys in combination with CTRL (only) do not work after you restart the application, but when I delete and add new actions or command - all work.
After restart it does not work again, but all the commands are saved!!
I have used the following commands:"Keys - HOT-KEYS" and "Keys - Send Keystrokes " but there were no results.

it is a problem in .9.6 and .9.7 versions.
XP and VISTA modes do not help and Running with administrator rights too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 03:43PM by INTERNET4IK.
Allen
November 12, 2009 07:36AM
0.9.7 RC

making a gesture for ctrl - doesn't work. it acts like ctrl +. tried both methods of hotkey and send keystroke. this was tested in maxthon 2.1.5 for the page zoom feature. can this be fixed?
November 12, 2009 04:44PM
The new build should fix any weirdness anyone is still experiencing with the keystroke plugin.

-- Jeff
November 13, 2009 11:05AM
The problem remains =(
November 13, 2009 11:37AM
INTERNET4IK:

Can you give me step-by-step example of what you're doing that isn't working? Exactly what key combination are you sending, and to what program?

Thanks,

Jeff
November 14, 2009 02:44AM
I install a clean version and from the very beginning such gestures as Ctrl+C (UP), Ctrl+V(Down), Ctrl+P (P)... etc , don't work everywhere. I delete these gestures and then add the same gestures but they work only untill the restart (either program or computer).
Allen
November 15, 2009 12:13PM
11-12 RC

making a gesture for ctrl - doesn't work. it acts like ctrl +. same problem with ctrl+downarrow--which acts as ctrl+uparrow. i think the problem is related to...

WHEEL_DOWN is recognized as WHEEL_UP

can this be fixed?
November 15, 2009 12:21PM
To see what keys are actually being sent, try using the "KeyView" utility, available [url=http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/tef/wintools/#keyremap]here[/url]. The download link is called "keyview", it's near the end of the first section.

If KeyView shows the correct keys being sent, then StrokeIt is working properly and the trouble is with the application receiving the keystrokes.

I can assure you it's 100% NOT related to the WHEEL_UP/WHEEL_DOWN issues.

-- Jeff
Allen
November 15, 2009 12:36PM
i tried the "WHEEL_DOWN is recognized as WHEEL_UP" issue in 2 different programs and its the same problem. so its not caused by the program receiving the keystrokes...
Allen
November 15, 2009 12:44PM
i got a strokeit crash when performing a gesture to launch a program after a fresh reboot of windows 7 x64. it has happened before in the 10-31 RC and now also in the 11-12 RC. it seems to occur on the first gesture i perform after the reboot. the gesture was a RIGHT on the taskbar. can this be fixed?

btw: i checked my settings folder and there was no crash report.
November 15, 2009 12:45PM
Like I said, the WHEEL_UP/DOWN issue is not related to the keystroke plugin.

If you are having problems with the control key combinations, please test with the KeyView program. If KeyView is receiving the correct keys in the correct order, then the issue is with the other application and is something we need to debug from that end.
Allen
November 15, 2009 01:07PM
ok i just tested with KeyView and seems the keys detected correctly in there.

so the programs i tested with this problem so far are:
- macro express 3.7d
- maxthon 2.1.5

how do you fix it?
November 15, 2009 03:31PM
You should probably bring it up with the authors of those programs. Let them know what hotkeys you're sending to their programs and that the keystrokes are being sent with the SendInput API.

If you're trying to execute specific actions, they may suggest that you use SendInput with specific codes that they can provide.

-- Jeff
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.