Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Windows 8 stuck taskbar button

Posted by Daniel Beardsmore 
Windows 8 stuck taskbar button
April 16, 2014 07:49PM
When I first got Windows 8 a year ago, I was assured by the developer that the dead taskbar button in Windows 8 would vanish by itself. This turned out to be true, but having booted my PC after a power cut the other day, this has stopped being true.

The taskbar button just won't go away — it just sits there for days on end.

I've just spent ages going through a load of options. The first time I set the program shortcut to open minimised, that worked, so I went to see if I could feed that into my scheduled task that starts the program elevated (so that it works with Task Manager etc).

Every attempt since has failed. I've tried the shortcut again, and I've tried start /min at the command line, and neither works. I did manage to *close* the window from an AutoHotkey script but AutoHotkey's Run hide doesn't hide the window, nor does any attempt to use WinClose, WinMinimize, WinKill, forcing WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW onto the window etc. Every "solution" seems to work just once and die, or do nothing at all. (AutoHotkey seems to sometimes find the window, but then can't find it any more.)

Windows 8 is over a year old now! I can't believe that there's still no fix for this bug.

What exactly do I have to do to get rid of this useless button on my taskbar?

If the program is run in XP SP3 compatibility mode, it seems to work fine, including being permitted to interact with elevated/high integrity windows, but you get a UAC-like prompt when opening it, and I have my doubts about wanting to run it in this way. Switch off XP SP3 compatibility, kill it, and run it again and the taskbar button is back.
Re: Windows 8 stuck taskbar button
April 17, 2014 05:41PM
huh. The stupid icon has finally disappeared for now.
April 21, 2014 08:53AM
Make a minimize gesture and use it on the button.
DHLim
January 20, 2015 04:14AM
4 years ago!

my solution: compatible mode -> windows xp (serivce pack 3)
DHLim
January 20, 2015 04:19AM
sorry, my solution is available when mintotray pulgin does not work.
January 27, 2015 06:48AM
Just to repeat once more:

(1) StrokeIt works fine on Windows 8.1 OOTB.

(2) You can make the taskbar icon go away by assigning a gesture to "minimize" and performing that gesture on the taskbar icon itself. This only needs to be done after the program has been restarted.
June 10, 2015 12:32PM
Hi,
what you suggests works, but it's not a real solution :)

Solution is that Stroke it will start minimized in notification area (as it did in previous versions of windows).

I'm sure it's not that hard to implement a fix (at least a nasty fix like calling minimize event 5 seconds after start).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 14?